Sunday, June 10, 2007

the toltec view of love

1. Love has no expectations.
Fear is filled with expectations.
2. Love has no obligations.
Fear is full of obligations. When we act from obligation, our resistance makes us suffer. When we fail to act on our obligations, we feel guilty.
3. Love has respect, not only for others, but also for ourself.
Fear respects nothing, including itself. When I feel sorry for myself, I do not respect myself. When I feel sorry for you, I do not respect you.
4. Love is patient.
Fear is impatient.
5. Love does not pity.
Fear is filled iwth pity, especially self pity.
6. Love is detached.
Fear is filled with attachments and the dread of having to let go.
7. Love is kind.
Fear is too self-involved to be kind.

(excerpt from Beyond Fear: A Toltec Guide to Freedom and Joy)

No comments: